If you are travelling abroad it is sensible to make provision well in advance of your expected date of departure. We strongly recommend that you check any vaccination requirements at least 12 weeks in advance.
The NHS has a very comprehensive web-site, giving the information you need to identify any vaccines advised for trips abroad, & ensure that you stay as healthy as possible. This can be found at www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk
Hanham Health is able to offer travel vaccinations that are commonly required for many destinations and are offered free of charge by the NHS. These are:
Diphtheria, tetanus & polio (combined)
Cholera medication is also available on the NHS, but is not commonly required.
Other vaccinations may be necessary for more exotic or unusual destinations, complex travel itineraries, or long stay vacations. We are unable to administer these and you will need to contact a high street travel clinic (for example Nomad, Masta, or The Medical).There will be a charge for vaccinations given at these clinics.
The following information will help you obtain the information and treatment you may require:
1. Visit the NHS Fit for Travel website & read the information relevant to the country you are visiting.
- Select the country you are visiting from the ‘destinations’ box on the left.
- Read the ‘Advice for all travellers’ information, following links in blue. This will give you detailed information about health risks abroad such as insect bites, sun-exposure, contaminated food & drink. Also advice is given about visas & health insurance.
- Note the ‘Courses or boosters usually advised’. If you have a record of your immunisations/vaccinations at home, see if you are up-to-date with the recommended vaccines.
Please contact us if you require a copy of your vaccination history or if you have registered for our online service, Patient Access, your immunisation history is available to view through your account.
The ‘vaccinations sometimes advised’ section usually relates to back-packers, people travelling for more than 4 weeks, or special situations, for example, working in health care projects, or with animals. If you are planning such a trip you need to make arrangements to have these at a high street travel clinic.
2. Once you have established what vaccinations you require, you can contact the practice to make an appointment with one of our nursing team who can administer any vaccinations supplied by the NHS. Please provide the relevant detail to our Receptionist on booking. It would also be helpful if you can bring a printout of the relevant ‘Fit for Travel’ information to your appointment.
3. Read the information about malaria, (if this is an issue where you are going), and follow the ‘precautions’ link. If anti-malaria tablets are advised for your destination, there will be a link to a ‘malaria map’ which will show the details of the risk for your destination.
The site will also indicate which anti-malaria tablets are effective in that region.
If Proguanil and/or chloroquine are advised, these can be bought over the counter at a pharmacy.
If Atovaquone/Proguanil (Malarone) or Doxycycline or Mefloquine (Lariam) are recommended, read through the information carefully, and visit a high street travel clinic to purchase your supply. These need to be started before entering a malaria area, continued during the trip, & for a period of time after leaving, so you need to plan ahead. We also advise you to take your itinerary and dates with you to work out how many you need to buy.
4. Read the entire section ‘other health risks’ which contains further up-to-date information about your travel destination, including current outbreaks, risks, etc.
• Hepatitis A – if you have had two vaccinations, you are covered for 25 years (from the 2nd dose)
• Diphtheria, tetanus & polio – booster required every 10 years (for travel purposes only)
• Typhoid – booster required every 3 years (for travel purposes only)
Nomad: 01341 555 061
Masta: 03301 004 141 (Practice located in Downend)
The Medical: 03303 334 123
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.